The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year in 1969. Aimed at developing student’s personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level working for a campus-community (esp. Villages) linkage. The motto or watchwordof the National Service Scheme is ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. Therefore, it should be the aim of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day-to-day programme.
Objectives of NSS:
- understand the community in which they work.
- understand themselves in relation to their community.
- identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems.
- develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities.
- gain skills in mobilizing community participation/
- acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- practice national integration and social harmony
NSS BUREAU, GIFT AT A GLANCE:
NSS Bureau, GIFT is one among those established in the year 2015 started with 400 nos. of volunteers . Prof. M.M Sahu heads this cell. The bureau has undertaken NSS work in the 5 neighboring villages namely:
NSS Activity of GIFT
As part of the NSS activity the following events were held.
1. GIFT conducted a Computer awareness program for School students of nearby villages.:- About 50 students of nearby villages like Pitapalli,. Gramadiah,Gangapada,Paniora, Gamei participated. They were given participation certificate by Principal GIFT.
2. In order to make the campus Green, Tree plantation was done inside the campus.
3. As part of the NSS activity, Voluntary Blood donation camp in collaboration with Rotary club Bhubaneswar was conducted in the Campus..
4. As part of the Swachha Bharat Abhijan the college Campus was cleaned by the student volunteers.
5. As part of Swachha Bhrarat Abhijan clean village drive was taken up in village Gangapada and Pitapalli.
As part of NSS activity a Yoga camp was held in the college campus on International Yoga Day